Welcome to Junior Surf
- Registration day is on Sunday 29 October. The session will run from 10.30am - 12.00pm.
- If you are new to Junior Surf, please arrive at 9.30am for a tour of the clubhouse and facilities and an opportunity to ask lots of questions.
- Don't forget to bring towel, togs, wetsuit, sunblock, and some gold coins for the sausage sizzle.
- There will be a $1 sausage sizzle after the session which the money goes to buying the next round. Please feel free to bring along fruit/snacks to share on the tables, please bring drink bottles and/or plastic cups for water. We also require help setting up, bbq, washing down equipment and cleaning up.
- There must be an adult at the club or on the beach for each child throughout the entire session.
- Please park in the car park to the left of the surf club. Onsite car parking is to be left for lifeguards coming on duty at 11.00am, and for emergency access to the beach.
At United North Piha, we foster a family friendly environment where juniors can gently develop confidence and skills in the surf. We also offer surf sports for juniors who wish to compete at competitions throughout the season. When they turn 13, juniors can enrol in our one year Rookie Programme, which focuses on transitioning from junior to lifeguard.
Who can join?
Any child over the age of 5 yrs can join us.
Juniors are allocated to a group dependent on their age
5-6 years old
9, 10 and 11 years old
12, 13 and 14 years old
Because we are a 100% volunteer, parent run organization, mums and dads or caregivers of juniors are asked to get involved. This can be helping out on the day in some way: on or off the beach; in or out of the water. We can offer training as Surf Officials (1 day course) or Junior Surf Coaching (also 1 day) and involvement fundraising and with managing teams at events is always welcome. Please note that for the Nippers Group, a parent MUST accompany the child for the entire duration of the training.
How to join
Follow these 2 easy steps to join United.
1. Complete the Surf Life Saving Northern Region online application. (free of charge).
- You need to complete one application for EACH member of your family wishing to join United North Piha Life Saving Club.
- select "active member" for your child and "associate" for yourself, if you are also registering membership
- During this step you will be asked to select which club you are joining
- choose United North Piha Lifeguard Service
- (don't choose "Piha" or you will be registering with the wrong club!)
2. Fill out this subscription form and pay the annual membership (subscription) fee.
If you wish to register in person, you may come to registration day at the club on 25th October 10am-noon and bring cash, check or pay online at the club.
What's included in a membership?
Participation in club based programmes, activities and events. Access to free swim training for anyone who can already swim (we do not teach how to swim). Access to club facilities, sleepovers, parties (including a Xmas party). The opportunity to compete in Surf Sports competitions and at Junior Surf carnivals. We also have a campround adjacent to the club for members only.
In the Pool:
Our location on the West Coast means that we often experience challenging surf conditions. Juniors are strongly encouraged to develop strong swimming ability and you may wish to consider an initial course of swimming lessons.
Pool training is available all year round at Westwave, Alderman Drive, Henderson 7pm-8pm every Wednesday.
An experienced coach helps children develop their swimming, general water skills and helps prepare them for junior competitions for example, Northern Region Pool Championships.
Bring your: togs, towel, water bottle and goggles
At the Beach:
Club location: 4 North Piha Road,Piha (park in the public carpark adjacent to Barnett Hall)
Every second Sunday morning during the Patrol Season (2nd November until Easter). Arrive 10 am for a 10.30am start. We break for lunch at noon, and then run an optional nature unit that focuses on exploring the natural environs around North Piha 1:00-2.00pm.
Here is more information about targets in our training.
Bring: togs, towel, wetsuit if necessary, water bottle, sun block ( we supply a beanie - For safety, we insist that juniors wear their beanie/quarter cap when on the beach during training). We also recommend a rash/sun shirt and have these available in club colours.
Changes to training schedule will be advised by email and posted on the website.
Members may also join our group on Facebook for updates and photo sharing. When you request to join the group, please send a message with your child's name.