The North Piha Surf Club was originally designed as an Auckland School of Architecture project, and built by the local North Piha Community on land donated by Les Waygood in 1950. In the early 80’s the club was refurbished and modified to meet the growing needs of the club membership.
Now almost 70 years old, the North Piha Surf Club can no longer meet the operational needs of the United North Piha Lifeguard Service. The rebuild of the North Piha Surf Club aims to create a functional lifeguard base and training facility, that can be shared with the wider community.
In 2007 the club engaged an architect to prepare a concept design for the redevelopment, and these plans were developed further in consultation with club members who would be using the club for the next 20-30 years. Their contributions included making the Patrol Room, ablution facilities and kitchen areas all on a single level with the inclusion of an external lecture studio with hose out capability. This allows guards to go between in-water training and white board sessions without needing to discard wetsuits.
The new design also includes a 20% increase in bunkroom numbers and sufficient catering facilities, so that the facility may be utilised by schools and other community groups to deliver outdoor education and other community programs.
Resource Consent was granted for the project in 2011, and the redevelopment must commence before the consents expire in 2020. With Auckland Council recently confirmed 35% cornerstone funding for the construction phase of the project, we are now ready to progress to detailed design for Building Consent.
Current elemental costing put the total project cost at nearly $3,900,000 by its completion in 2021. To date, the club has invested $150,000 of its funds in the project, and has a further $200,000 to get the design underway. The club will be reliant on significant public and other charitable and philanthropic support to fund the balance of the project costs.